Work From Your Home for our All-Remote Company (USA only)Have you built and managed large cloud server deployments that have seen real production usage? Are you an expert at automation tools like Chef, Consul, Terraform, and Vault? Do you the concepts of immutable infrastructure or DevSecOps call out to you?If so, we’d like you to learn about Files.com!Files.com operates dozens of services over 150+ cloud server in 10 AWS regions. We rely on our ever-growing infrastructure team to keep those services running smoothly and securely.
Files.com is the new name for BrickFTP, a cloud storage service that has existed since 2009 and has over 1,700 paying business customers.(We hope to be launching the new Files.com homepage within the next month.)Our company consists of 14 (and growing to 35 by the end of 2019) full time USA-based remote employees who work from home.Our products and services are used by over 2,000 enterprises and SMBs, including Target, Canonical, UPS, Leica, DirecTV, GoPro, Marriott, and more.
We’re Bootstrapped, Profitable, and Growing
Our success comes from building a great service that solves problems for our customers, and our growth comes from expanding and improving our products as quickly as we can.We believe that great products can only be built by great people. So we’re on a quest to find the smartest, most creative, and most motivated people, and create an environment in which they thrive.
We Are A Remote Company
You will work from home and have some flexibility to choose your working hours, allowing you to make time for family, recreation, vacations, or anything that is important to you.You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. You’ll have the time to take longer vacations and have fun.Every quarter, you’ll travel to an in-person meeting with the entire team to meet and work together face to face. These meetings are in cities that are fun to visit. In the last few years, we’ve been to Austin, Orlando, New Orleans, San Diego, Las Vegas, and New York City.We think that these in-person meetings are vital to the success of a remote team.
About the Role
You’ll be working with our existing deployments of Chef, Vault, Consul, Docker, Ansible, ELK, Grafana, Statsd, Asterisk, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Zeromq, Puma, Jenkins, and many other exciting open source systems.Of course, you’ll also have the freedom deploy something else if it gets the job done.As a member of our infrastructure team, your work will be mostly project-based, but will also involve being part of an on-call rotation for the systems you maintain. (Generally there are not many after hours incidents.)
Examples of Projects our Infrastructure Team Tackles:
- Building zero-downtime failover from one AWS region to another for complex web applications.
- Securing our network using tools like Terraform and Vault.
- Deploying and managing internal services for things like LDAP, VPN, and telephone.
- Managing our AWS infrastructure that includes dozens of VPCs, S3 buckets, etc.
- Designing and building our sophisticated monitoring stack and app uptime alerting.
- Contributing to the codebase of our home-built FTP and SFTP server software that runs the FTP/SFTP interfaces of Files.com
- Maintaining our complex system of allocating dedicated IPs to Files.com customers and keeping those IPs highly available even across server/AZ migrations.
- 5+ years of directly applicable experience.
- Experience managing large cloud server deployments that have seen real production usage.
- Experience building distributed, failure-resistant architecture, including disaster recovery, backups, failover, etc.
- Significant experience working with GNU/Linux servers, including a complete understanding of the command line, /proc, services, processes, virtual memory, etc.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving problems in mission-critical environments.
- Comprehensive understanding of networking concepts (layers, firewalls, DNS, VPN, etc) and how to build secure infrastructure and an awareness of common server security vulnerabilities.
- Proficiency with configuration management tools, such as Chef or Puppet, and fluency with at least one major scripting language.
- Experienced programmer capable of writing code in at least 2-3 major programming languages.
- Contributions to major open source projects.
- Familarity with large scale monitoring and analysis systems, such as ELK or Splunk (we use ELK).
- History managing a large database at scale (we use MySQL).
- Experience with the advanced features of public cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure (we use AWS).
- Experience working on a remote team.
Our Core Beliefs
Here are just some of our Core Beliefs:We believe that the best Engineers tend to be polyglots with a wide variety of programming language experience.
We don’t hire for specific programming language skills, but rather look for engineers who are fluent in several programming languages. We want our staff to be adaptable and ready to evolve to what’s next.We believe in using the right tool for the job.
If you work on any open-source projects during the course of your work at Action Verb, you are encouraged to submit your improvements as a pull request back to the upstream project. And if you build something from scratch while working here that’s generic and not related to our core products, we want you to release that on GitHub too. We’ll also pay your travel costs to any conference where you can get a speaking gig.We believe in building products that we actually use ourselves
. We are our own toughest critics and we put all of our products through their paces every day.
Salary, Pay, and Benefits
Action Verb offers industry-leading salaries based on experience combined with unparalleled flexibility and other benefits to secure top talent.You’ll take off 11 company-wide holidays per year as well as 20 days of PTO for vacations. Go have fun. Don’t work all the time.We will provide you a $2,500 signing bonus to purchase a new computer, desk, or anything else that would help build or refresh your home office.We’ll update your salary annually based on your performance, as reviewed by your peers.We fully pay base plan health insurance premiums (exact plan details depend on your state of residence), and we’ll pick up the tab for 75% of your spouse or dependents if they wish to join your chosen plan. We want your family to be healthy.